You need to pay tax arrears or outstanding demand if you can find no reason to disagree with such intimation. Both offline and online modes are available. But you will find that online modes are far simpler.
- Go to the tin nsdl site and navigate to Pay Taxes online. This will take you to the e-tax payment portal.
- On this page you can make payments for various kinds of taxes with challans like Form 26QB, form 26QC, Demand Payment form for sale of property, challan ITNS 286, ITNS 281, ITNS 280, ITNS 282, ITNS 283 and so on. For payment of income tax, challan ITNS 280 will be used.
- When you click on the link for the said form, you would need to check (0021) Income tax (other than Companies) in the Tax Applicable field. After that, fill in your PAN, relevant Assessment year and residential address.
- Next, you will see the ‘Type of Payment’ field showing options like Advance tax, Self-Assessment tax, Surtax, tax on distributed profit or income etc. You need to choose (400) Tax on Regular Assessment.
- Next, choose the mode of payment and complete your online transaction on your banker’s site.
- If the payment is successful, a counterfoil of the Challan would be generated with a challan number, money paid, branch of the bank which recorded the payment and so on. You should keep a copy of this document for your personal records.
Save time, save money! File taxes with our mobile app.