Any Taxpayer can view and download his Form 26AS (Tax Credit Statement) at the Income Tax login portal after having registered and signed in.
Tax deductions in the form of TDS for salaried individuals are to be filed quarterly and can take a couple of weeks to get reflected in your Form 26AS after TDS returns have been filed by the Deductor.
All tax deductions, tax paid or other transfers reported on your PAN get recorded in your Form 26AS. If there is any discrepancy (say tax deducted but not shown in Form 26AS) with your Form 16 then it is your duty to check and rectify the error.
Form 26AS can be viewed in the manner described below:
- Login at the Income Tax Department platform.
- Go to My Account and select View Form 26AS (Tax Credit) from the drop-down:
- A notice will be shown stating that you will be redirected to an external website. Click on Continue to proceed.
- Check the tick box that says, "I agree to the usage and acceptance of Form 16 / 16A generated from TRACES".
- Click View Tax Credit (Form 26AS) as it appears below, choose the relevant Assessment Year and then click on View / Download button to view your Tax Credit particulars for the selected assessment year.
- Select PDF under the View drop-down to download Form 26AS in PDF. Password to open downloaded PDF File is dd-mm-yyyy or the Date of Birth of the Taxpayer.
It is recommended that you compare Form 26AS with Form 16/ 16A to ensure that there is no mismatch and that you are able to apply the correct income tax deductions in your tax return form.