After you have completed and submitted your income tax return it is crucial that you e-verify your form and obtain an acknowledgement in the form of ITR-V. Otherwise your efforts are in vain and you status remains as if you never filed your taxes in the first place.
When Should you send your ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore, if acknowledged manually?
The certificate of e-verification, ie, your ITR-V should be sent to CPC, Bangalore within 120 days of filing tax. But a far easier method is by employing a digital signature to automatically authenticate the ITR. You could also use a host of online methods as listed below:
- EVC received on Registered Mobile number and e-mail.
(Generated through e-Filing portal, valid for 72 hours).
- Aadhaar OTP sent to your mobile
- EVC generated through Net Banking
- EVC generated through Bank Account Number
- EVC generated through Demat Account Number
- EVC generated Through Bank ATM
How Do I send ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore?
Once you finish your return you receive an ITR V at http://www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in/ . To send this to CPC, Bangalore please follow the steps enumerated below:
- You can download a printable copy of your ITR-V from the income tax login portal. To open the document you must use a password that is a combination of your PAN and date of birth without special characters such as “/” or “-“. The PAN must be in lowercase.
- Before sending it by ordinary or speed post only, you must sign the document in original (no photocopies). If the assessee is a company or a firm, then the signature of authorised signatory must accompany the form.
- Make sure the paper printed on is of A4 size, does not have any folds or any other document for that matter. The courier used for delivery must be India Post only.
What documents/ devices can I use to e-verify my ITR form?
You can use any of the following:
- AADHAAR number
- Your personal Netbanking account login.
- Digital Signature
- OTP on mobile
How do I check the status of my ITR-V if sent to CPC, Bangalore?
You can check the status of your ITR-V at CPC Bangalore online at www.incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in. If your ITR-V does not show up on India Post as received even after 10 days you may call 1800-425-2229 /+91-80-22546500 / 1800 103 4455 – a government helpline between 9AM and 8 PM.
What happens if the verification form is not submitted before 120 days from the date of e-filing (in a situation where no e-verification has been performed)?
If you fail to submit the ITR-V manually to CPC, Bangalore (via post) then your return will be void and you are required to file a revised return. In this case, you will need to submit a fresh signed ITR-V to CPC, Bangalore. The revised return will be taken to be your Original return.
Can the ITR-V be rejected by the CPC, Bangalore and what happens then?
You can check the status of return verification on the income tax login portal. If the status says, “ITR-V Rejected”, by clicking on the acknowledgement number you will be able to see the reason for such rejection. "Filing date has exceeded the due date" typically means that you haven't signed your ITR-V and/or sent this acknowledgement to the CPC-Bangalore within 120 days of e-Filing.
Depending upon the reason your form was rejected you may correct minor errors where mentioned. Failing these options, you must file a revised IT return online. It is best to obtain the acknowledgement on the income tax department website.
In what cases must I file a Revised return?
Where the Original Return has been rejected at the CPC due to any of the following reasons:
If you have not exceeded the 120 day limit you must send a fresh ITR-V duly printed and signed to the "Income Tax Department – CPC, Post Bag No - 1, Electronic City Post Office, Bengaluru - 560100, Karnataka" by ordinary or speed post only.
The assessee is required to file a revised return only where the ITR-V has been rejected by the CPC and the corresponding status is reflected on the income tax e-filing India portal. The revised return filed now will be treated as your Original return.
Can I modify my name or address after I have submitted my tax return?
After your return has been filed (submitted to Income-tax Department) and an acknowledgment has been generated it is considered final. However, you can file a revised return to correct the original return. A new return a with new acknowledgment number then gets created. Manual users have to submit the ITR-V again to the CPC, Bangalore.